Writing Evidence in Planning Appeals
This one-day workshop focusses on the drafting skills needed for writing high-quality evidence across all three appeal procedures. We will place particular emphasis on the accuracy and precision of the evidence. Written communication strategies will be introduced and applied to planning evidence to show how well-written evidence can influence the decision of the Inspector hearing the appeal.
High-quality written evidence is also essential when presenting oral evidence in Informal Hearings, Public Inquiries or in the Local Plan process, the quality of the written evidence is paramount. With evidence-in-chief "taken as read", the written evidence is the best opportunity to present a forceful opinion on the matters relevant to the case.
The workshop is presented by Lynden Alexander, a specialist in the writing and presentation of expert evidence. It will be interactive and will focus on the practical issues faced by all experts when producing evidence in the planning process.
- Procedural Guide August 2016
- Responsibilities of expert witnesses in the planning process
- Evidential requirements of the three planning appeal procedures
- Inspectors’ decision-making process
- Written communication strategies
- Structure and order of the evidence
- Presentation of the evidence
- Factual basis of the evidence
- Explaining policy
- Opinion writing
- Summary evidence
- Writing skills
- Presenting fact and opinion evidence
- Applying policy and technical tests in the evidence
- Evidential drafting skills
- Sentence structure
- Grammar and punctuation (Key-Issues)
- Writing workshop
- Applying writing skills to evidence
- Analysis of planning evidence to identify ways to strengthen and improve the evidence
- Understand their duties and responsibilities as expert witnesses and be able to produce evidence in compliance with these
- Understand the Inspectors’ decision-making process and so understand what to include and exclude from their evidence
- Learn the skills necessary to draft high-quality planning evidence
- Learn to write evidence more quickly and efficiently
- Understand the similarities/differences in evidence produced within the three procedures to maximise the strength of the case
- Gain confidence in their ability to draft high-quality evidence
- Practise writing skills using examples and exercises from evidence Speakers
Lynden is a communication skills consultant who specialises in professional communication. Since 1996, he has trained more than 6000 expert witnesses in writing and presenting evidence. He has more than ten years’ experience in training professionals involved in planning appeals and highways inquiries. He also provides communication advice and services to clients involved in major infrastructure projects. In his role, he works closely with all the participants in the planning process including Inspectors, developers, planning authorities and lawyers - enabling him to offer a unique insight into the skills needed to produce high-quality evidence that communicates a case effectively.
No pre-workshop preparation is required.
Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
12 Bloomsbury Square
Tel: 020 7421 7444
Terms and Conditions
All cancellations must be made no later than 21 days before the seminar/workshop date. All cancellations made more than 21 days before the seminar/workshop date will receive a refund of monies paid, less a £50+VAT administration charge per delegate.
No refund will be given for any cancellation made within 21 days of the seminar/workshop date, though a substitute delegate may attend for a £50+VAT administration charge.
Professional Solutions Learning and Development reserves the right to make changes to the programme, venue and/or speakers at any time. Professional Solutions Learning and Development will not offer refunds to delegates owing to a terrorist alert or incident or to natural events unless the event is cancelled.
Once we have received confirmation of your booking in writing or through the website, we will send you an email confirmation - please look out for this both in your inbox and junk mail. An e-invoice will be attached where appropriate.
All invoices and outstanding accounts must be settled before the date of the event. CPD and attendance certificates will only be made available on settlement or all outstanding fees. If you have not received confirmation of your booking within 2 days of placing your booking please contact us on 020 7421 7476. We cannot be held responsible for the non-arrival of information.
By registering for an event, Professional Solutions Learning and Development can provide you with information in respect of your booking and other Professional Solutions Learning and Development related products or services. Please write to us at the above address if you do not want to receive this information or simply use the opt out facility on the e-shot.
By submitting this form you agree to abide by these terms and conditions.