Medico-Legal Report Writing in Civil Claims (Core Skills)
This e-learning programme has been withdrawn pending changes to the Civil Procedure Rules.
James Badenoch Q.C.
Chairman Emeritus of the Expert Witness Institute
Medico-Legal Report Writing in Civil Claims (Core Skills) is an in-depth e-learning programme produced specifically for medical expert witnesses and certified by the Expert Witness Institute.
The programme will enable medical experts to produce Personal Injury reports that meet the standards required by the Rules of Court and GMC Guidance. It explains in detail how to produce clear, concise and reliable high-quality expert reports that address the relevant legal standards and tests and comply with court rules.
Structure and Content
The programme is presented in five modules:
- Introduction to Claims for Compensation
- Legal and Procedural Framework for Civil Litigation
- Role and Duties of Expert Witnesses (Part 1
- Role and Duties of Expert Witnesses (Part 2)
- Writing the Expert Report
The programme begins by explaining the fundamental principles underlying civil claims for compensation and then moves stage-by-stage through the essential legal principles and court rules that are essential for medical experts to understand and apply in their reports. The final module looks in detail at evidential writing skills and explores a detailed report template for personal injury reports.
The programme includes 2.5 hours of video presentations, detailed PowerPoint presentations, links to relevant documentation and other essential reading for medical experts reporting in civil claims, as well as the multiple choice assessment test certified by the EWI.
The programme is presented by Giles Eyre (9 Gough Square chambers) and Lynden Alexander (Professional Solutions) and is based on their highly-praised book: Writing Medico-Legal Reports in Civil Claims – an Essential Guide.
Benefits of the Programme
- Learn from leading practitioners, trainers and authors in the field of medico-legal reporting
- Learn from a programme written specifically to meet the needs of medical expert witnesses
- Watch detailed presentations on all the key aspects of Personal Injury reporting
- Understand best practice with practical examples and discussions
- Receive clear direction on the evidential issues commonly arising in medico-legal reporting
- Learn in your own time without needing to travel to an expert witness workshop
- Achieve certification from the Expert Witness Institute and provide instructing lawyers with a public mark of your competence in and understanding of medico-legal issues